I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:47:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello, I'm Kathy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello, I'm Kathy  (Read 2793 times)
Rainsbury

« on: April 23, 2019, 03:51:20 PM »

Hello All. I’ve been hovering around this helpful site for about 5 years now. I’ve known that I was headed for kidney failure since that time. I’ve been sticking to a kidney-friendly diet and I think it’s helped to stave the inevitable off a bit, but it’s getting closer to the time to begin dialysis.
I was on lithium for a number of years to treat bipolar disorder and my kidneys were affected by the toxicity of the medication. In the last decade or so I’ve been on another much more effective drug, but the damage had been done.
I live with a longtime friend who is very supportive of me and has attended many medical appointments. I really appreciate his support. I also have an awesome cat.
As I gear up for the peritoneal catheter surgery and the start of this major life-change, I’m a little freaked out and concerned that I’ll be able to take this in stride once I learn he mechanics of how to do this. I know my attitude will have a lot to do with how well my body adjusts.
A big thanks to those of you who contribute to this site. I’ve learned so much and it’s helped to normalize a frightening change of circumstances.
Peace,
Kathy

Katherine

Stage 4, Pre-dialysis

"Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
- Francis of Assisi
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 07:04:01 PM »

Welcome to the site, my experience is the fear and uncertainty that occurs prior to Dialysys is much worse than the actual experience, and while I do hate Dialysys I love the extra life it brings. Good luck.
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 01:01:54 AM »

:welcomesign;

Hi Kathy, welcome to the site.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 01:48:22 AM »

Welcome to the site Kathy

:welcomesign;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 04:59:03 AM »

Welcome to the group. I’m glad you were able to research dialysis in advance. I hope the preparation helps your transition.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 06:26:29 AM »

:welcomesign;, Kathy.  I too do PD so I may be able to answer some of your questions when the time comes.  Good luck.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Kathymac2

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 08:04:40 AM »

Hi Kathy and welcome. I just started PD in February and from my perspective, it's not bad. You will be taking things stepwise through the surgery to have your catheter installed, then through learning the mechanics of doing PD.  One day at a time, one or two new experiences and new things to learn. In a few weeks or months you will be looking back at the process as I am now and seeing that you have incorporated this new activity into your daily life.

Wishing you all the best.

Kathy
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 07:28:22 PM »

Hi Kathy and Welcome to IHD!

It was very smart to learn as much as possible ahead of time.  Making the change in Diet was the best move you could make.

Learning to adjust to doing PD isn't really that hard, the most important thing is be absolutely Religious about clean hands around your transfer set fitting.

Infection is no joke.  I did very well on PD for 3 1/2 years.  My diet and fluid freedoms allowed me to eat and drink anything and everything I wanted.  It was great.

Sadly, I must have rushed one night setting up my hoses and didn't even notice that I had only slightly 'touched' on open fitting during  making connections.

Hand sanitizer does NOT sterilze ouor hands.  Within hours I knew something was terribly wrong.  Stomach pain that just kept growiong until I could barely breath.

Immediate ER and a couple days, lot of antibiotics dosed into every bag.  The infection kept returning.  The cath had to come out and a blood cath go in and I started Hemo.

I miss the diet and fluid freedoms of PD.

Stay extremely careful and you will doo well.

Take Care,

Charlie B53
SunshineOfHope2

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 03:49:50 PM »

Hi Kathy!  :clap;
Rainsbury

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 08:41:16 PM »

Thanks to all of you for your kind words of welcome and support. I'm not quite sure how to navigate this site yet in terms of responding to your individual posts, but am hoping I can get up to speed soon. Because of the practical suggestions, positive attitudes and honest sharing I feel I'm well-armed to face this new reality. This site is my lifeline. Thank you for being on this site and contributing your experience and hope!!

Katherine

Stage 4, Pre-dialysis

"Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
- Francis of Assisi
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »