I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:25:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Skipping one hemo treatment
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Skipping one hemo treatment  (Read 2054 times)
SweetyPie

« on: January 23, 2019, 07:12:43 PM »

I just had wisdom tooth surgery.  I am in extreme pain. Pain meds gets washed during dialysis so I am going to treatment I will be in pain extreme pain. How bad is it to skip one treatment? I feel I can’t not physically do it
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 07:38:35 PM »

If you miss a treatment their is a emergency diet plan to reduce the impact, however if you skip Friday see if you can go on Saturday. Then you have not missed a treatment.  Plus schedule your pills so half way through treatment you take a pain pill.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:07:48 PM »

Call your clinic and asked about getting your treatment rescheduled - they can usually work this, but may require an OK from your neph.  Just plain skipping a treatment puts you at risk for significant toxin and fluid overload - don't to it.    Also, ask your neph about any adjustment to dosage of your pain meds, or extra dosing during D to minimize discomfort.
SweetyPie

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 01:09:29 AM »

I felt bad and decided to go to treatment. Will let you know how things go. I am drinking a smoothie to get something in my stomach and taking a pain med with me. This surgery is tough and I had every right to be scared!! Lots of pain
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 06:49:18 AM »

I have never had wisdom tooth surgery, but I fully expect it would be more painful than a kidney transplant.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 07:10:20 AM »

All treatments are important but if we had to plan on missing a treatment I would lean towards missing Wed, the middle treatment.

Reasoning that Mon being the most important because of the 2 days between Fri and Mon.

Fri being the second most important being getting ready for that 2 days without treatment.

I have missed one treatment because of C-Diff and I didn't think I could be away from my toilet long enough for the drive much less a 4 hour treatment.  I don't even remember which day it was.  I didn't have any choice.

I wasn't aware that Hemo could clear pain meds.  I take Methadone for pain but so far have not noticed any difference before/after treatments.
GA_DAWG

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 09:40:21 AM »

Charlie is right about how important both Mon and Wed treatments are. I'm sorry the surgery was so hard on you, but maybe you could reschedule to Sat as some have suggested. As small as you are, most anything is going to be magnified. Hope it goes okay for you and the pain passes quickly.
rcjordan

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 01:11:21 PM »

>wasn't aware that Hemo could clear pain meds.  I take Methadone for pain but so far have not noticed any difference before/after treatments.

Me either. Until the neph prescribe Cipro for an infection and the label spelled it out for that antibiotic. Then this thread happened about pain meds just after, so I asked yesterday were pain meds the same?  He said it depends on the drug --some are, some aren't.

Coastal US, NE North Carolina
2018 right nephrectomy - cancer. Left kidney not filtering, start hemo. After 3 months, start Nxstage home hemo
SweetyPie

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 01:54:00 PM »

So i am not sure how I got through treatment today but my dad was happy I went  rather than feel worse with all the toxin buildup.  I was up at 3 because my sleeping schedule is off. I took a pain killer and before leaving I threw up so nothing was in my stomach. The whole dialysis treatment I was in a lot of pain And nauseous so that wasn’t fun. My dad picked up and he brought some yogurt for me to quickly get something in my stomach and I had some broth and my pain meds and that seems to be down.
You guys are right this surgery is realllly hard on me. My brother and sister got theirs done at 15 and they seemed way better than me. Also my sister in law was at work the next day. I hate how there’s no warning when my pain meds stop. I just wake up in agony. Also I can barely open my mouth fully everything hurts. This has to be number 1 on my list of most painful surgeries. Please pray for me everyone I need it
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »