I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:31:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Benadryl
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Benadryl  (Read 1783 times)
SweetyPie

« on: January 22, 2019, 06:55:46 AM »

There’s this one patient at the clinic who asks for Benadryl every treatment in the dialysis line. I was curious what does he need it for? One of the nurses say why do you always need it? What do you do at home?  I felt kinda bad for him he might have a legit reason
GA_DAWG

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 09:35:22 AM »

We have one of those patients also who always asks for benadryl. One of the side effects of benadryl is it makes you really leepy, so she after the benadryl, she sleeps through most of the treatment. Also, if the phosphorous level is too high, it makes you itch, and benadryl might combat some of the itch.
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 09:57:13 AM »

I agree with GA Dawg. It could be used to soothe the side effect of phosphorus itching as well as providing a light snooze. When I was receiving thymoglobulin treatments, Benadryl was used to lessen the side effects and it put me in a comfortable na-na-land.

At my old clinic, we had a patient who always asked for Ativan and Dramamine. He got it and he slept through it all like a champ.
SweetyPie

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 10:20:01 AM »

I got Benadryl when I was on antibiotics after an infection. I always had a reaction to the antibiotics so they gave this to me for like 3 weeks. I didn’t like it. It made me loopy, I wasn’t able to communicate properly and usually throw up. Yeah I noticed he sleeps through treatment and wakes up looking rough lol
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 11:57:33 AM »

Benadryl also helps with restless leg syndrome because it makes you drowsy.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
LorinnPKD

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 01:51:19 PM »

We had a row of ladies using this technique so they could sleep during session, and they'd all conk out!

RLS is weird.  Unfortunately Benedryl (and diphenhydramine in general) sometimes also does the opposite and triggers RLS in some people because it blocks your dopamine receptors. So your mileage may vary!  I took it Benedryl out of desperation and I was kicking like Pele until noon!

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 03:08:52 PM »

I simply cannot last six hours in a dialysis chair without Benadryl. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Michelle2016

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »

I have sleeping problem. I take Benadryl whenever I need it. The only side effect is making you sleepy.
GA_DAWG

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 05:44:52 PM »

We started with one lady, then it went to two asking for it, and then a row of them. The doctor told the nurses to split them up. It wasn't just benadryl, but every time one of them got a new med, all the others would wind up asking for it, and suddenly develop the same symptoms.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »