I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:48:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  No energy and kidney failure
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No energy and kidney failure  (Read 3392 times)
jambo101

« on: November 14, 2018, 10:33:16 AM »

As my kidney failure progresses i find i have less and less energy to the point now where i dont feel like doing anything but going back to bed. i was wondering what it is about kidney failure that causes the lack of energy. Also how much energy will be restored once i start dialysis.

Jim
Mr Ken

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 11:30:58 AM »

As my kidney failure progresses i find i have less and less energy to the point now where i dont feel like doing anything but going back to bed. i was wondering what it is about kidney failure that causes the lack of energy. Also how much energy will be restored once i start dialysis.

Low Hemoglobin - Kidney's produce a hormone that causes bone marrow to produce red blood cells. If this hormone is reduced then you are not producing large amounts of red blood cells. Also Iron is key. Low iron will impact how you feel. This is why you most likely will be getting epergen (sp) shots.... Those buggers play an important role in keeping your electrolytes in check.... Once they are knocked out Pandora's box is released. Protein, calcium, iron, phosphates, hemoglobin, potassium......... All have to be monitored and controlled by you on what you eat....... Welcome to dialysis.

Ken

GA_DAWG

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 10:38:40 AM »

Fluid buildup also will cause you to have a lower oxygen level in your blood that adds to tiredness. I admit I never knew exactly how many things kidneys did until mine decided not to work.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 10:37:00 PM »

Low energy can be caused by:
Low hemoglobin
Fluid build up.
Lack of protein in your diet and body due to low protein diet required
Diet requirements are not being met for your body.
High rates of TOXINS in your bloodstream.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 04:44:23 AM »

:secret; :secret; :secret; :secret; You might try a protein meal before you hook up.  Better yet, take amino acids to supplement your protein intake.  I use Advanced Bionutritionals' "Perfect Amino":
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 08:20:12 AM »

I think kitkatz hit everything, at least anything I can think of. *G*

Anything that your kidneys are no longer doing can pull down your energy levels.  Dialysis can restore some of it, but not right away, and probably not completely.  Everybody is different and dialysis will affect them differently.  Some people are able to continue with full time jobs while on dialysis, while others just don't have the energy to keep a job anymore.  Myself, for instance, am in college full time, but by the end of the day, I'm dragging my butt home and can't wait to crawl into bed for a nap.  You'll find that how you feel after dialysis can vary too.  Some people are full of energy and ready to go, while others are just drained.  I'm the latter, which is why I love my evening shifts.  I can just go home and go to bed. *G*

I will say that if you are at a point where you're unable to do anything, it might be time to think about starting dialysis.  Most people want to wait until it's absolutely necessary, but if you start earlier, it's easier to bounce back.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 03:24:37 PM »

My diet is high in protein.

I have a couple of eggs daily.  Another meal is a lean cut of steak or a thick chop, either well trimmed of fat. I really need to think about eating a vegetable once in a while.

Egg Nog in season but I have to be careful with that as the  fluid volume adds up quickly.

Dr prescribed the Renal Vitamin.  Labs also indicated I was VERY low on Vit D.  I take two different types of the three available.  You will have to check with your Neph as not all forms of Vit D will work with Renal Patients.  Initially my Pain Dr noticed the Vit D deficiency and prescribed one form of Vit D.  Neph noticed it was the wrong type for us, canceled that and ordered the other two.

Iron is tested regularly and added as needed during treatment.  Same with the epogen replacement that is used to help increase red blood cell production.

I am still tired all the time.  Wondering if I need to find me a new coke dealer.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 05:54:24 PM »

Epo will become your new best friend. He will make a world of difference to you. For some people it is Procrit. For others it is Mircera. 

Meant to add that if you do dialysis at a center they will give these injections during or after dialysis. When my husband and I did hemodialysis at home he gave himself Epo injections.

self-edited to add injection info.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:57:28 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 08:28:49 AM »

Epo will become your new best friend. He will make a world of difference to you. For some people it is Procrit. For others it is Mircera. 

Another option may be Aranesp.  I was told that it lasts longer so you don't need as many injections.  When I was on it, I got it once every 2 weeks, though when I was on EPO, it was 3 times a week.

In our unit, everyone gets iron at least once every 2 weeks.  It's given by IV through the machine.  It'll either ben Venofer or Feralicit.  the Feralicit actually dropped my blood pressure.

I'm at a point now where I don't need either, but I still take an iron pill daily.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 03:41:06 PM »

Another long lasting ESA is Mircera, with is pretty much pegylated EPO.   I got the OK with the hemo guy at the BNMC (big name medical center) before I OK'ed the switch since alarm bells go off when I suspect a change is being suggested to improve clinic profits.    He sent me two medical journal studies - one that proved Mircera had more frequent side effects and one proving that EPO had more frequent side effects.   Overall, he approved the switch.
Procrit is another name for EPO.   Which name is used depends on the target market (WTF?).  Mircera is time released EPO.

Nephs target an HGB in the 9-10 range, which is lower than normal by several points.  This is done to reduce the risk of thrombolytic side effects.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:43:37 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
rcjordan

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 04:11:05 PM »

>Mircera

I'm with Fresenius, so I get Mircera.

The US Renal Anemia Market Sees Some Shifting As Mircera Use Expands Beyond Fresenius Medical Care Clinics and Auryxia Makes its Debut with a New Iron Deficiency Anemia Indication in the Pre-Dialysis Setting

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-us-renal-anemia-market-sees-some-shifting-as-mircera-use-expands-beyond-fresenius-medical-care-clinics-and-auryxia-makes-its-debut-with-a-new-iron-deficiency-anemia-indication-in-the-pre-dialysis-setting-300644443.html

In the dialysis setting, brand share for ESAs is largely aligned with unit ownership – Amgen's Epogen is dominant in DaVita units, Roche/Vifor Pharma's Mircera leads in FMC units, and Amgen's Aranesp is the market leader in independent and small-to-medium sized dialysis chains.  In Q1 2018, a higher percentage of nephrologists in independent units and smaller dialysis chains reported use of Roche's Mircera, the first inkling of an expansion beyond the original agreement with Fresenius Medical Care which was established in May 2015.  Indeed, more than one-third of the nephrologists reported an increase in their use of Mircera in the dialysis setting in the past three months.  In contrast, 20% report decreased use of Epogen and 14% report decreased use of Aranesp, indicating pressure on Amgen's ESA franchise.

Coastal US, NE North Carolina
2018 right nephrectomy - cancer. Left kidney not filtering, start hemo. After 3 months, start Nxstage home hemo
rcjordan

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 04:14:03 PM »

<added>

>Nephs target an HGB in the 9-10 range, which is lower than normal by several points

I'm at 10.2 and feel exhausted almost all the time.

Coastal US, NE North Carolina
2018 right nephrectomy - cancer. Left kidney not filtering, start hemo. After 3 months, start Nxstage home hemo
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »