I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:00:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Way below dry weight
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Way below dry weight  (Read 3398 times)
SweetyPie

« on: July 24, 2018, 08:45:09 PM »

Hey everyone hope all is well,
So just a question about dry weight. For a person on hemodialysis how can you tell if you lost weight? For example about a month and a half ago my weight was increased to 42.5kg. Weird things have been happening I've noticed. Like I used to never be able to pull more than 2kg like even getting there was difficult. Lately I've been pulling 2.5-3kg! So weird and while pulling that much my blood bnb pressures have been somewhat okay! Like in the 85- 90 like it wouldn't beep after being checked. So I said how my weight was 42.5 kg well today I left off at 41.6 kg. I feel dry and somewhat okay. So did o lose weight? I can tell you I have cut cheese and dairy out of my diet for a good few weeks. Also have increased my fruit and veggie intake. Wanted to eat healthy. If so, should I tell the tech or nurse? What should I say. We usually dont agree when it comes to my weight because they always say I dont think so your blood pressure is low.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 09:08:53 PM »

The best indication I know of is how you feel.  Pull too much cramps and low blood pressure occur.  If you feel good after treatment you probably lost weight.  Just be careful weight gain will effect you the other way.  Life on dialysis is a balancing act.
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 10:21:21 AM »

There is an electric device that cam measure your excess fluid and calculate your dry weight. My local Fresenius clinic uses it monthly on all patients. However I am guessing that it is expensive, because the local NHS clinic does not have one, they go by how much the patient's ankles have swelled.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
GA_DAWG

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 09:32:50 AM »

Fresenius here came out with a machine that kind of drew a graph, supposedly to determine if you were over or under your desired weight. If the graph was above the line, it meant you were over, below the line meant too much was being taken off, as best as I can remember. It had people cramping and blacking out all across the room and was quickly forgotten.
rcjordan

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 11:36:13 AM »

>graphs

Sounds like the Critline.  The model they installed at my clinic last March only provided a graph and did not alter the actual machine settings.

http://fmcna-hd.com/critline_monitor.html

Still, since the monitor showed the tech that the current session wasn't pulling enough, the stronger pull keyed in by the tech did often result in cramps and bottoming out.  A good number of patients blamed the machine and had it dropped.

Coastal US, NE North Carolina
2018 right nephrectomy - cancer. Left kidney not filtering, start hemo. After 3 months, start Nxstage home hemo
GA_DAWG

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 03:55:21 PM »

Yep, that may be the one. It did not directly alter the machine, but the techs were supposed to adjust the machine based on what this thing was showing. I trust our techs a lot more than that machine.
SweetyPie

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 04:25:22 PM »

Yeah, the doctor didnt come this week so i didnt get a chance to tell him about my weight. I hope me losing weight doesnt affect my trabsplant process. The nutriotnist already said I was underweight. Also, not sure if this is weird but I feel my best when I'm thinner it feels like I dont have to drag myself around. Also going up the stairs is a breeze. Could that mean I just dont have muscle?
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 11:52:22 AM »

Yeah, the doctor didnt come this week so i didnt get a chance to tell him about my weight. I hope me losing weight doesnt affect my trabsplant process. The nutriotnist already said I was underweight. Also, not sure if this is weird but I feel my best when I'm thinner it feels like I dont have to drag myself around. Also going up the stairs is a breeze. Could that mean I just dont have muscle?

Hello Aaisha.Dar,
I also have been told that I could "put on a bit more weight", but I feel quite alright being slim and my blood tests are alright as well so there does not seem to be any problem ...
... Perhaps you could ask your medics about this and perhaps it might help you if you tell them (as I did) that you are and always have been - a naturally slim person who also tries to remain as trim as is possible ...
Best wishes and good luck from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »