I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:02:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Miami Florida Dialysis Centers
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Miami Florida Dialysis Centers  (Read 2633 times)
Dverdugo

19, Mothers caregiver.

« on: February 22, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »

Hey,

I want to take my mom on a week vacation to Miami, Florida... shes been on dialysis for 5 years and never once since then has left NYC . she feels she is a burden but i believe she might be scared to go to a new facility while away. We have an awesome dialysis center with amazing people. ive heard horror stories of other centers so i am also worried. Anyone live in Miami, vacationed there? recommend a dialysis center? Or any tips on going to a new center for vacation?? Thank you!!

----DVerdugo
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:00:09 AM »

There is a photo posted on this site by a member Bill Peckham, it shows him with a nexstage system doing dialysis in the middle of the Grand Canyon.  In the last several years I have used this photo to show new patients afraid to travel that with planning anything is possible.  My advise find the photo show your mother and ask her if it would not be easier in Miami.  Plus your dialysis provider through their social worker will help with the planning.  In addition another member Iolare has traveled around the world and has gotten dialysis where ever he went.  I spend most summers in the Adirondacks and go to dialysis up there.  Dialysis brings many life limits but with planning travel should not be one.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 10:41:29 AM »

I use NxStage, but do not take it with me when traveling.  Most of my traveling is solo, and when I travel with my wife she wants a vacation from, not with, dialysis.

I have had excellent treatment in many different centers, both Fresenius and DaVita.  I expect the horror stories one hears are the exception rather than the norm.

It is worth learning the basis of how the machine operates, and what your prescription calls for (filter, bath, machine settings, etc.) so you can be sure the out of town center is getting it right.
lulu836

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 10:40:47 PM »

I still enjoy travel also.  It takes a little more planning than it once did but is well worth the effort!

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my kidneys the most.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »