I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:36:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Any Experiences with Holiday Dialysis (in center HD dialysis) in Montreal Canada
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any Experiences with Holiday Dialysis (in center HD dialysis) in Montreal Canada  (Read 7369 times)
iolaire
Elite Member

« on: June 30, 2015, 05:42:16 AM »

Hello, I'm now starting to plan a long weekend trip to Montreal Canada for my wife's and my 15 year wedding anniversary.  She is getting a bit tiered of extremely long flights, even in premium class (via points), so this will be a nice easy trip up on Wednesday (non-stop 1.5 hours) and back on Sunday (not non-stop).  I plan on doing an extra treatment on Tuesday so I only need one treatment on Friday in Montreal.

Does anyone have an experience or recommendation on centrally located centers in Montreal? 

Also I'm interested in knowing if its hard as a self pay US patient to schedule dialysis in Canada.  (In May I visited Ireland and had a hard time getting a seat, so I'm sort of scared of scheduling in National Health Services environments.)

Both Global Dialysis and this site only list hospitals:
http://www.cihi.ca/CIHI-ext-portal/internet/en/document/types+of+care/specialized+services/organ+replacements/edirectory_que_08
My preference is dialysis centers over hospitals if they are available.

PS: I think I might have talked about Montreal sites already with someone on the forum but I can not find that post.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
justagirl2325

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 11:30:03 AM »

Hi Iolaire

No experience in Montreal so far (we will be going there but not until next January).  But in Canada, dialysis is done in hospitals only there's no such thing as a dialysis clinic.  You'll need a good month of planning and every medical test in the book before someone will let you in.

And you may have to be prepared to pay out the nose.  My husband travelled once from Ontario to Saskatchewan (no charge for Canadians) but their info sheet said the price was $1,300 for non-Canadians for one four hour session.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 11:43:51 AM »

Hi Iolaire

No experience in Montreal so far (we will be going there but not until next January).  But in Canada, dialysis is done in hospitals only there's no such thing as a dialysis clinic.  You'll need a good month of planning and every medical test in the book before someone will let you in.

And you may have to be prepared to pay out the nose.  My husband travelled once from Ontario to Saskatchewan (no charge for Canadians) but their info sheet said the price was $1,300 for non-Canadians for one four hour session.

Thank you, that's good information.  I'll start mapping out the hospitals.  $1,300 sounds like US prices, if I didn't have insurance it would be cheaper to fly to South Africa/America and get treatment there...

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:50:38 AM »

$1,300 sounds like US prices, if I didn't have insurance it would be cheaper to fly to South Africa/America and get treatment there...
DaVita charged my insurance company (and collected) $5050 per treatment when I visited Washington state.   When I visited NY FMC got over $3000 per treatment.   

Now that I am on Medicare, I do not expect as warm a welcome :)
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 08:16:40 AM »

The Canada lab requirements are a pain, they require both a MERSA and VRE test.   I know where to get the MERSA test after my Ireland trip but no one would do the VRE screen.  I ended up having to go to the emergency room to get the rectal swipe test!  That was a waste of 3 hours and money but I could not find anyone else who would do it.  Of course the ER was not prepared to do tests, but they did it.  Two different hospital laboratories told me the only place I could get it done is the ER...  But I'm glad that the stress of finding someone to get he lab work done is over and am looking forward to our trip next week.

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 09:01:24 AM »

Just like to point out that Plattsburgh NY is about 15 to 20 miles south on route 15.  Medicare would work there.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 09:02:55 AM »

Just like to point out that Plattsburgh NY is about 15 to 20 miles south on route 15.  Medicare would work there.

Yes that was my backup or (VT) had I known the lab requirements earlier I probably should have just planned that from the get go, its a lot of work for one session.

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 09:30:45 AM »

I don't think 20 miles is right........... but close enough to go get a treatment .... we lived in Burlington Vermont once and Montreal was a easy trip.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
justagirl2325

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 12:15:04 PM »

The Canada lab requirements are a pain, they require both a MERSA and VRE test.

Yep, what did I tell you (look up a few posts)  :P

It's the same for Canadians travelling in Canada - my husband has to get these every time we travel and have to get dialysis in another hospital.  Enjoy your trip, I love Montreal.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 04:50:51 AM »

https://www.cihi.ca/en/types-of-care/specialized-services/organ-replacements/e-directory-of-canadian-dialysis-centres-4

Not sure if this is helpful. There may also be a separate private clinic for visitors (there is one in Toronto) but perhaps someone listed in this link knows more about what is available for you. Good luck and I hope you can sort it out.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 05:42:03 AM »

https://www.cihi.ca/en/types-of-care/specialized-services/organ-replacements/e-directory-of-canadian-dialysis-centres-4

Not sure if this is helpful. There may also be a separate private clinic for visitors (there is one in Toronto) but perhaps someone listed in this link knows more about what is available for you. Good luck and I hope you can sort it out.
Thanks, I think I did use that link to pick my centers.  I think I'm good, just need to call and get the lab results faxed over today and I should be scheduled.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »