I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:06:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Advocacy
| | |-+  the nerve of people mistreating the elderly patients, amoung others...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: the nerve of people mistreating the elderly patients, amoung others...  (Read 5679 times)
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« on: May 12, 2014, 02:19:56 PM »

it was very hard to hold my tongue today, as i saw them mistreating a very nice old man. Granted, I do NOT know exactly what the story was, or what was going on, but i still stand firm that what they were doing was highly unprofessional, rude, and mistreatment. basically yelling at him (could be he was hard of hearing- but damn, i had ear buds in and heard the commotion- im nosey so i muted to hear- because this man and i have talked about how shitty these people are...
They were saying, "SHE did NOT say that." over and over, and threatening to change his dialysis if he continued to question them.... WTF????
i am now, more than ever, determined to report these people.
reguardless of what the reason behind them doing this, they should not be doing that while hes in the open, around other patients, tethered to the damn machine! COWERING OVER HIM! thats NOT RIGHT!!!!

skip on over to JUST as i started writing this. I get a call from my clinic manager.
I just love how they hear only bits and peices of what people say (for an example, if i say, oh i really like greek yogut- they like to remind me not to eat greek yogurt all day long... um just cuz i said i like it, doesnt mean i eat it all the time- im not an idiot. once a week, maybe....)
anywho, they called because i told them i dont feel safe there, i really beleve they will kill me one day.
glad they cared enough to call. but it seems like all they want to do is question me and make me out to be the ass...i told her straight up i dont want to get people in trouble or cause any problems, but some of this really is ridiculous. I brought up the cramping issue, and how they continually say things (like, well we shut ur uf off, so u should not be crampng now.) uhhhh well, i AM... which makes me feel that they think im just full of crap or something....

at the end of our convo i said that i wanted to speak about Home hemo, and mentioned ive talked to many people there about wanting to talk to the lady. i spoke with her around jan, said i wasnt interested- bcause i really dont think thats what i want to do, but id rather do that than this! so Ive changed my mind- i wasnt aware that would be such an issue for them.... so what if i hanged my mind, i personally dont see why it would be an issue, but whatever, they are calling the lady now...

i understand its her job to keep idiots from suing the pants off of them, and doing anything that takes... i can get that ,BUT for them to make me, or that older gent feel bad for voicing our concerns, cornering him (which they HAVE done to me, i ended up in ER having a panic attack due to it too) its just not right. SO I am going to take steps to insure this crap stops.

Im just putting this here so i can have some support, im scared to death of the consequences ill face from this...

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:11:26 PM »

Simply put it appears you are being cared for by a group of idiots that think the patients are only there so that they get a paycheck,  if you can get to a other clinic do so before they kill you.  Home hemo can't possibly be worse than the what you have been going through.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 03:55:01 PM »

Put it all down in writing. Send a copy to the clinic manager, keep one and send one to the kidney advocate, whomever you choose.
The clinic is supposed to address any written concerns within 48 hours after it is received.
Keeping a copy is essential. Date everything.
Be crystal clear of what the complaint is and what they can do to solve it. Wishy washy stuff they cannot take care of.
Be persistent and be firm.
I have an example of a letter I turned in to my center if you would like to see it.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 04:41:20 PM »

that would be great thank you!

How do i address what i saw to her? when shes the one who did it? (the clinic manager.. getting in the old guys face, yelling at him in front of everyone)
I mean, it really wasnt my business, but i still think its wrong... and something should be done about that, don't you think?? i could be totally off, like i said it was totally none of my business...

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 11:19:43 PM »

Phrase it in term s that do not name names.

"Some of the way the staff talk to patients can be very demeaning. I have experienced staff not understanding what I was trying to tell them about my treatments.
I have heard staff discussing very loudly a patient's treatment.  I have heard the staff being mean to other patients in front of the entire clinic."

The discuss the Medicare Patient's Rights in your letter. And tell them wich things they are not following.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 11:21:44 PM »

http://archive.hhs.gov/news/press/1999pres/990412.html

Medicare patient rights

For Dialysis patients: https://www.kidney.org/atoz/pdf/DialysisBillRights.pdf
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:24:00 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 07:14:06 PM »

There are a number of people using the Nxstage system at home.  And to hear them talk about it, it is the best decision they have made.  You are in control, you set the speed, the flow rate, and the time.   Many report a longer time at a slightly reduced flow achieve a far better result, and they feel better.  With less aches and cramping.

Make an appt to talk to your Neph and to your Social worker about starting training.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 04:53:15 AM »

i finally got to talk to the home hemo lady, we will meet up with neph on the 29th to talk about doing home hemo yay! im a bit nervous but excited too

HemoDialysis since 2007
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 06:20:33 AM »

We will talk you through it too. Start your training and then we all can help. It is very doable. There are many of us here to help.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 06:50:14 PM »

Looking forward to you update on the 29th to hear how it goes.

Good Luck!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »