I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:43:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Advocacy
| | |-+  Obama cuts to Medicare
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Obama cuts to Medicare  (Read 8298 times)
Whamo
Elite Member

« on: April 05, 2013, 03:35:51 PM »

How will it impact dialysis patients?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »

To which cuts are you referring?  The executive branch does not have the authority to pass a budget.  That's up to Congress.  Congress will eventually decide which kinds of cuts to make.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
noahvale
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 09:40:15 PM »

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 03:51:28 PM by noahvale » Logged
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:18:48 PM »

Who hasn't proposed a budget?

No one really cares if we have a budget or not.  If they did, we'd have one by now.

Boehner rejected "Obama's Budget" even before the full text was released.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 12:52:34 AM »

Evidently Mr. Obama thinks the raises that people on Social Security gt are too high???? Gosh, my raise was $24.00 an they raised my medicare $12.00 so my monthly "raise" is $12.00. My husband got the same amount so we are $24.00 richer per month until May 1st when our rent goes up, ( come on, guess how much) $$$$$24.00!!!!!! I just cannot win.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
noahvale
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 05:39:28 AM »

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 03:51:00 PM by noahvale » Logged
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 08:24:06 AM »

Evidently Mr. Obama thinks the raises that people on Social Security gt are too high???? Gosh, my raise was $24.00 an they raised my medicare $12.00 so my monthly "raise" is $12.00. My husband got the same amount so we are $24.00 richer per month until May 1st when our rent goes up, ( come on, guess how much) $$$$$24.00!!!!!! I just cannot win.

No, I doubt he thinks that at all, but there are probably GOP House members who do, and he's putting forth a "budget" that looks like a compromise so that he can say, "Look, I'm trying to compromise."  Again, you're going to have to look to Congress to see what THEY eventually legislate.  That's why they're called the "Legislative" branch of the federal government.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 08:25:14 AM »

Oh, you mean like Harry Reid saying the House passed budgets are "dead on arrival" and not even allow an up or down vote?

YES!  EXACTLY LIKE THAT!  NO ONE CARES THAT WE DON'T HAVE A BUDGET!

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »

There is a 2% cut that just happened due to the sequester - about $5 per treatment. As far as impact it shouldn't be much - there is a bigger cut coming due to the fiscal cliff legislation - but
what a unit says it forces them to do is another matter.

The sequester also cut NIH funding which will mean there will be a significant impact on the number of CKD research efforts that get funded this year and next. I think it is the NIH cut that is most damaging to dialyzor's long term interest.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »

Oh, you mean like Harry Reid saying the House passed budgets are "dead on arrival" and not even allow an up or down vote?

YES!  EXACTLY LIKE THAT!  NO ONE CARES THAT WE DON'T HAVE A BUDGET!

Yes this has nothing to do with the budgeting process.

nv complaints about the made up fiscal crisis(es) should be posted to politics and leave advocacy for discussions about improving the provision of dialysis through better policy.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 10:35:11 AM »

nv complaints about the made up fiscal crisis(es) should be posted to politics and leave advocacy for discussions about improving the provision of dialysis through better policy.

I guess the fact that Medicare cuts have been mentioned in the same breath as "Obama's budget" makes people think this is part of the budgeting process.

And you are right that this discussion, such as it is, is in the wrong forum.  Perhaps a mod will move it.  Thanks for pointing that out.

noahvale
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 03:52:34 PM by noahvale » Logged
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 12:57:48 PM »

[

Sorry, disagree. Politics and the budget process are quite entertwined.  Congress might pass the budget, but there numerous hands on it among the bureaucrats (playing politics with their own turf) and of course, the politicians (swayed by their own influences). 

bp, you are entitled to your opinions, but not your place to be policeman over my posts. Thanks, bud.

"Politics and the budget process are quite entertwined [sic]." Exactly which is why your musing on the budget process should be under the politics thread.

My place is wherever I choose to post.

noahvale
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 03:50:31 PM by noahvale » Logged
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 06:51:04 PM »

"Politics and the budget process are quite entertwined [sic]." Exactly which is why your musing on the budget process should be under the politics thread.

my place is wherever I choose to post.

"Exactly which is why your musing on the budget process should be under the politics thread." - 

Sorry, original poster asked about Obama cuts.  My comments are appropriate under HIS topic.   

First of all, I never said where you could post - just don't tell me.  Secondly, my place is wherever I choose to post as well.  Again, though, thanks bud.

Your response didn't include any discussion of Medicare cuts. The Medicare cuts that are impacting dialysis are not part of the budget process. The sequester is not part of any budget process. Your links are to articles about the politics of a grand political bargain, not cuts to dialysis. The cuts to dialysis went into effect on April 1 and are not part of anything you linked to.

Is where you crossed purely into politics and away from questions of advocacy. Once you post off topic political claims they either have to stand unchallenged or the thread gets diverted into a purely political discussion of why the Congress is so deadlocked. There is a whole sub board where you can post all you want about how the Republicans are completely blameless for Congress's destructive policies.

We need an advocacy board. We need to understand what is effecting reimbursement for our care. Your posts distract from understanding what is at issue.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »