I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:07:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Need an Inexpensive portable IV Stand for PD ?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need an Inexpensive portable IV Stand for PD ?  (Read 21395 times)
djgaryb11

« on: February 10, 2009, 07:57:59 PM »

IF you need an inexpensive portable/collapsible IV Stand to use for doing PD, I have a great suggestion ...I am a photographer and I took one of my lighting stands ( that I use for studio flash units)  and then removed the very top of my regular IV Stand, the section with the 2 hooks where the bags hang...I took that off of my regular IV stand and then placed it on the top of one of my photography lighting stands...and it fit on top nearly perfectly........A Basic collapsible lighting stand can be purchased for about $ 22 ...from companies like Adorama or B&H photo....here is a link if you wanna take a look

http://www.adorama.com/JTLS600.html

The portable IV Stand from "Stickman" is basically this set up...but that package costs $ 150

7/2001 Diagnosed with Hypertension and Chronic Kidney Disease
2/2008 Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
4/2008 Surgery to Create Backup A/V Fistula in Left Arm
7/2008 Placed on "UNOS" list for a Kidney Transplant
10/2008 Surgery to place PD Catheter
10/2008 Started CAPD
11/2008 Started on Baxter HomeChoice PD Cycler ( CCPD)
MiSSis

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:51:49 AM »

I also just bought an inexpensive collaspible IV pole for travel.  I mainly use my cycler even when traveling but we're driving to FL in early May and will spend at least one night on the road.  My husband doesn't want to bother with setting up my machine for one night so I'll be doing CAPD for the two days to get there.  In the past I've tried to get by using a large "S" hook which I would put over the shower curtain rod in the bathroom but I've gotten tired of doing that.  I find it uncomfortable to have to sit in the bathroom while draining and filling and I'd rather be able to sit out on the bed or in a chair.  I did a google search and came up with these "Pitch It" IV poles.  I got the floor mounted one for $32.00 which I thought was pretty reasonable after checking out the Stickman model.  I haven't used it yet but in looking at it, I might have to use some sort of hook to hang the fluid bag from or I might check out djgaryb11's suggestion and see if the top of my home IV pole might work. 

Here's a link to the Sharps Pitch It poles:  http://sharpsinc.com/pitchit.htm

Download the printable catalog sheet which is a small PDF file to get the full details.  I bought the middle one which is the regular Pitch It model, not the Jr. or Sr.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows."  Helen Keller
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 03:13:38 PM »

Whenever I'm traveling, that's the first thing I look for - where am I gonna hang my PD bag.  I bought a large "S" hook at a hardware store and now I can hang the bag on pretty much anything.
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 01:28:09 AM »

I have used a "S" hook or a coat hanger.   :P  Take a picture off the wall and use the hook in the wall to anchor the "s" hook. Easy.

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 07:24:13 PM »

I also just bought an inexpensive collaspible IV pole for travel.  I mainly use my cycler even when traveling but we're driving to FL in early May and will spend at least one night on the road.  My husband doesn't want to bother with setting up my machine for one night so I'll be doing CAPD for the two days to get there.  In the past I've tried to get by using a large "S" hook which I would put over the shower curtain rod in the bathroom but I've gotten tired of doing that.  I find it uncomfortable to have to sit in the bathroom while draining and filling and I'd rather be able to sit out on the bed or in a chair.  I did a google search and came up with these "Pitch It" IV poles.  I got the floor mounted one for $32.00 which I thought was pretty reasonable after checking out the Stickman model.  I haven't used it yet but in looking at it, I might have to use some sort of hook to hang the fluid bag from or I might check out djgaryb11's suggestion and see if the top of my home IV pole might work. 

Here's a link to the Sharps Pitch It poles:  http://sharpsinc.com/pitchit.htm

Download the printable catalog sheet which is a small PDF file to get the full details.  I bought the middle one which is the regular Pitch It model, not the Jr. or Sr.

I also used one of these, and it's really good. Very light weight and folds down very small for travel. I had only one problem with it, though. It's so lightweight that if I moved around while the bag was hung, the bag would move around and sometimes try to topple the pole if I didn't hold on tight.

MiSSis, I don't think the hook at the top of the pole comes out, so you wouldn't have any way of attaching the one from your home pole to it.

Just my  :twocents;

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
retiredfed

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 07:55:48 PM »

I have used bungee cords wrapped around show curtain rods or closet rods in hotel rooms.
With the hooks facing opposite directions, the bag is securely held.  You can move a chair close to the closet to sit and watch tv while doing the manual exchange if you didn't want to do it in the bathroom.

Lacking any rods, I have used the dollarstore over-the-door plastic clothes hooks to hang the bungee cord from.
I imagine you could use the bungee cord on a tree limb if you were out camping and doing PD.

And they're cheaper and more portable than a collapsible metal IV pole.
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:44:26 PM »

We used a wire coat hanger from the grid of the drop ceiling in my brothers room when staying at my parents. If you have a coat hanger or a closet/armoir with a pole you can get pretty creative. I like the over the door idea... Illmkerp that in the back of my mind for the future should we ever have tobgondown dialysis road again.

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 05:22:38 AM »

We use an S hook, hang it here, hang it there,
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »

I used to use one of those locking suction hooks (the. Ones where you pull the hook up after sticking the suction part to the surface) and stick it to any smooth shiny surface that was at the correct height.  Cheap, very portable and you can hang it at the height that you want.  There was always a mirror, window or picture that I could stick it to.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Willis

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 10:51:27 AM »

I have used the dollarstore over-the-door plastic clothes hooks...
That's what I use when manual PD is necessary and it works great almost anywhere. I don't even use a pole at home.

mcclane

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »

IF you need an inexpensive portable/collapsible IV Stand to use for doing PD, I have a great suggestion ...I am a photographer and I took one of my lighting stands ( that I use for studio flash units)  and then removed the very top of my regular IV Stand, the section with the 2 hooks where the bags hang...I took that off of my regular IV stand and then placed it on the top of one of my photography lighting stands...and it fit on top nearly perfectly........A Basic collapsible lighting stand can be purchased for about $ 22 ...from companies like Adorama or B&H photo....here is a link if you wanna take a look

http://www.adorama.com/JTLS600.html

The portable IV Stand from "Stickman" is basically this set up...but that package costs $ 150

I bought one of those collapsible IV poles from Stickman, it is not cheap but it did work well, as I took it on our Alaskan Cruise in 2010.  It didn't take long for the product to arrive either, good customer service, speedy shipping.

As someone mentioned, I also bought one of those 'As Seen on TV' suction cup hook things.  It worked well too, and it was cheap, but the surface you attach it too has to be super smooth, and if you use the glass on a picture frame it has to be sturdy.  I bought a set when we went to visit my wife's sister in another city, at the hotel we stayed I used the suction hook on a picture they had hanging.  No problems until we left the hotel, I forgot to take the hook down !  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 09:34:24 AM »

I just use a couple S hooks I made from coat hanger.  I also have a couple shoe lasses that I can use to extend the length or adjust the height if needed.  I've use tree branches, pictures in hotel rooms, curtain rods, almost anything that I could hook over or tie a shoe lass to.  Grumpy

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
Emerson Burick

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 07:04:23 PM »

I've use tree branches, pictures in hotel rooms, curtain rods, almost anything that I could hook over or tie a shoe lass to.

I've found that most hotel bedside lamps are so heavily weighted at the bottom that I can clip the whole bag over the top of the lampshade with a little carabiner.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »