I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:50:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Report lack of care to who...where????
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Report lack of care to who...where????  (Read 59696 times)
G-Ma
Elite Member

« on: January 06, 2009, 03:05:51 PM »

Yesterday...Monday..I got to clinic at 10:30 as usual. Called in at 10:50. Great. Tech called another tech to stick me as she infiltrates me.  Good. Good tech came, stuck me, taped, walked away. 11:10 tech finally came to hook me up, arterial was clotted.  I had told her. Got it unclotted, then veinous did not work, she flipped the needle and felt like sucked my vein in, stopped.  Waited for other tech. 11:40 he finally got away to restick me.  I was NOT happy but went with the flow as he is good.  Finally got connected, no lung check etc at beginning and I had been in pain all over when I arrived. Head nurse came by, said Hi how are you...so sweet  ::) I said not good and she said ok and walked away smiling. Social Worker came by also asked how my day was going.  I told her...she went and told Director who said she would come by..NOT.  Between 12 and 1:30 no one came to check me or my machine. At about 2:30 another patient tried to die so nurses were finally busy for real.  At 3:20 tech asked a nurse to pull my needles as she was busy, nurse didn't want to so tech who stuck me came and pulled needles so I could hold, said he had to leave or would be in trouble for staying, told me to call out if no one came to tape me   :rofl;   at 4:40 I called the nurse who had been standing next to me the whole time and I asked for tape.  She finally came and taped me, walked away, I finished putting away my blankets, went and weighed myself and waited for her to take my BP.  I was standing the whole time with a nurse sitting at the desk facing me.  At 4:55 I just picked up my stuff and announced I'm leaving now.  A tech was sitting in a patient chair, a nurse was taking off the last patient, another tech was cleaning the next machine.  The nurse at the desk was the one who had taped me and walked away..well, she jumped up, asked did "she" take your BP?  I looked at her and said "no, you didn't" and I kept walking.  Director had never come to talk to me.  The week before Christmas I heard another patient demand to move to another center due to poor care and the charge nurse came over and said "consider it done", never tried to talk to the patient.  Until this time I've not had care this poor. But this kind of care could be fatal to me, so not sure where to go with this since the Director doesn't seem interested either.  Now I'm starting to wonder if this center is working toward closing?  They closed their Nocturnal unit the end of October 2008.  Company is RAI.  Anyone know anything?

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 03:11:10 PM »

there should be a poster somewhere in the center listing complaint procedures.  make your complaint in writing and watch them scurry......there is no way any of us should have to put up with this type of treatment.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »

Stories like this infuriate me because this is the type of clinic where people are likely to die and no one will be admonished for it.

And to have to waste six hours of your day for a three hour treatment because no one seems to care is horrifying.

I know its not easy while suffering ESRD, but please try and find a new Dialysis center (non-profit if possible, they seem to have the best care) and get your care managed.  None of the individuals have the right attitude for caring for patients.

What you've described is what you'd expect from a cashier at a gas station with a bad attitude.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:16:12 PM »

In the lobby of the clinic, it HAS to be posted.  It is the law.  Look for the paper that says something to the effect of "how to post a compalint" or something similar.  In Texas, you can call The State Health Department.  Should be the same in NC.  If you can't find it, ask to review your consents.  It's in there as well.  You can also call ESRD Network.  Look online, the website will give you the Network # that your in, ( I am in 14).  They will also be able to help you.  After that, there is CMS, Center for Medicare Services, the biggie.  I would have said, start with the Director, but she sounds like an idiot.  It's a shame, there are quite a few idiots in healthcare.  Let me know if you need more info...

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 03:16:43 PM »

You have to put it into writing to the director of the place. They have by law a certain number of days to get back to you either verbally or in writing.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
nursewratchet

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 03:20:12 PM »

You have to put it into writing to the director of the place. They have by law a certain number of days to get back to you either verbally or in writing.
   Good point KitKatz,  I was so mad I left that out.  The state surveyer will ask for a written record of complaints.  If there are no compliants logged, they will have a full blown survey.    If you get the state involved for a complaint, they come in quickly, and look at everything, and talk to patients about the quality of care.   

Vicki
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 03:22:07 PM »

Thanks all.  Guess I will have to do a letter.   

ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
GOD IS GOOD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 03:22:58 PM »

Simply outrageous treatment G-Ma.  You need to find out who's in charge of the unit (but not in there).  Put it in writing detail by detail. Cc it to the director but address it to her boss.  Cc it to the social worker as well.   Her job in part is to advocate for patients.   I've never heard of not being hooked up immediately once you've got the needles in your arm.  I also completely agree with Stacy about trying to find somewhere else to go.  Where's nursewratchet on this for advice.  We all know she'll be pissed.  Since you did home hemo for a while, would they ever let you hook yourself up and turn up the pump etc.?  I'm fuming on your behalf right now.   I'd be thinking news reporter right about now but I tend to get a little tetchy when riled.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
nursewratchet

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 03:24:50 PM »

Simply outrageous treatment G-Ma.  You need to find out who's in charge of the unit (but not in there).  Put it in writing detail by detail. Cc it to the director but address it to her boss.  Cc it to the social worker as well.   Her job in part is to advocate for patients.   I've never heard of not being hooked up immediately once you've got the needles in your arm.  I also completely agree with Stacy about trying to find somewhere else to go.  Where's nursewratchet on this for advice.  We all know she'll be pissed.  Since you did home hemo for a while, would they ever let you hook yourself up and turn up the pump etc.?  I'm fuming on your behalf right now.   I'd be thinking news reporter right about now but I tend to get a little tetchy when riled.
  Im so pissed, I'm laughing about it.  I can't believe this!!! :rant; :rant; :rant;

Vicki
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 03:26:07 PM »

yes Monrein, that's why I waited til today to note this on IHD...I was HOT and major headache. Yeah, I was floored about having to wait and no they won't let me do anything myself. I have asked, I tell them more on what to do than they want to know.  I would love to be in a center like you are.  Have a great day.
Ann

ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
GOD IS GOOD
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 03:54:26 PM »

Gee that is so poor. I am ever so thankful for the awesome crew that I have when I read stuff like this. If they're busy they are more than happy for me to do the things I can do.. like my resting and standing BP's, weight, writing those down etc. I too have always been hooked up when I've been needled. If the machine is not ready (testing etc) then they might needle just a minute or two before it becomes ready. What hopeless (lazy) staff to not even tape you?? what the??? I agree with the others to write it down, document and send multiple copies...

good luck!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 04:04:33 PM »

If you want to piss them off....... leave without a standing BP or a weight.  They will have to make something up to get out of the computer.

:rofl;

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 07:05:14 PM »

I'm so glad we have this -->  :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik;

:grouphug;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
nursewratchet

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 07:11:04 PM »

If you want to piss them off....... leave without a standing BP or a weight.  They will have to make something up to get out of the computer.

:rofl;
  I really WANT to be shocked that someone would "make something up", but... I am still shocked over the "no lung sounds, or heart sounds" by some people.  :rant;

Vicki
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 07:23:33 PM »

G-Ma, how terrible! I hope you are able to get something done about it. It is sad how lightly they take their job when people are relying to keep them alive.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 08:37:27 PM »

:Kit n Stik;  Use my stick judiciously and well on someone's head in your letter!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 08:54:13 PM »

As Kitkatz said, put it all in writing and copy everyone.

Here's the web site for the National Forum of ESRD Networks:
http://www.esrdnetworks.org/esrd-networks-1/esrd-networks

Network 6
(Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina)
http://www.esrdnetwork6.org/

Southeastern Kidney Council, Inc.
1000 St. Albans Drive, Suite 270
Raleigh, NC 27609             

Phone: 919/855-0882
Fax: 919/855-0753
email:jkrisher@nw6.esrd.net

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 10:50:36 PM »

Thanks Zach.  I have work to do.
Ann

ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
GOD IS GOOD
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 11:35:40 PM »

OK, my letter is detail by detail and I have emailed it to places Zach provided and also thinking about letting the State Health Dept and Medicare know about this too.
Thanks for your support.
Ann

ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
GOD IS GOOD
nursewratchet

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 06:46:59 AM »

OK, my letter is detail by detail and I have emailed it to places Zach provided and also thinking about letting the State Health Dept and Medicare know about this too.
Thanks for your support.
Ann
  I would send it to all of them.  Send the same letter, copy to the facility director, her boss, ESRD, AND the State.  Things will change.  If the state finds fault within the facility, jobs can be lost, and the will send a "monitor" until it's improved. 

Vicki
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 07:01:22 AM »

:thumbup;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 08:07:16 AM »

I posted this article by Roberta Mikles, RN, BA elsewhere on IHD, but it's appropriate here:

Viewpoint: The Many Faces of Quality Care and a Need for Accountability
http://www.renalbusiness.com/articles/the-need-for-accountability-in-dialysis.html#

Dialysis Patients' Bill of Rights and Responsibilities
http://www.kidney.org/atoz/pdf/DialysisBillRights.pdf

Don't accept mediocre -- mediocre can kill.
The way to bring about improvement of care is vigilance by those on hemodialysis.

Always write it down and when corresponding, cc many.

8)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:15:08 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 01:43:51 PM »

When I read "mediocre" I saw "Medicare" -  :rofl;

I hope you get some support G-Ma, your story makes me angry and sick!  :puke;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 02:34:50 PM »

When I read "mediocre" I saw "Medicare" -  :rofl;

:-*

I make films.

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 04:51:07 PM »

Well, I have started rattling some cages.  Social Worker was in when I got to D this morning.  I handed everyone a copy of the letter.  She discussed it with Saul and me and 10 min after I was hooked up the Director came..she knew I was not believing everything she was trying to say..gave me excuses about issues with having to write up some techs and their friends being upset.  I told her several times this should NEVER be a problem of any patient..she needs to fix this..she kept saying I wish you had talked to me before you sent this and held up her letter.  I said I was here Monday and you did not come to talk to me, well there were excuses about that too.  We shall see how this turns out.  Too many people use too many excuses.  I'll keep you posted.
Ann

ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
GOD IS GOOD
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »