I Hate Dialysis Message Board

Dialysis Discussion => Dialysis: Transplant Discussion => Topic started by: tigtink on August 19, 2019, 09:13:12 AM

Title: 3rd Call
Post by: tigtink on August 19, 2019, 09:13:12 AM
University of Michigan called me on Friday with a kidney offer. The coordinator tried hard to sell it to me and seemed surprised when I turned it down, but it was a DCD kidney (donor after cardiac death). The person was taken off life support and the heart stopped for a time before the kidney was recovered. The coordinator said the kidney was without blood supply for a "short time" but the surgeons still thought it would be a good kidney. There was a risk of delayed graft function. I didn't even ask about the KDPI because I had already decided I didn't want a DCD kidney. I'd rather have a low KDPI high risk kidney than a DCD kidney, but with my latest GFR coming back at 20 I don't need to settle for either at this time.

It is looking like the right offer will come soon, hopefully from University if Wisconsin. I would prefer to have it in Madison if possible.
Title: Re: 3rd Call
Post by: Cupcake on August 19, 2019, 11:27:42 AM
that must be a hard decision. I hear great things about Madison.